Building Department / Zoning Administration
Building permits are required before most interior or exterior improvements are made. This includes roofs, fences, decks, patios, pools, sheds, and other accessory structures. Permit review may take up to two weeks, so please plan ahead.
No person shall act or perform any services as a general contractor, contractor, or subcontractor within the Village of Winfield without first having registered with the Village of Winfield (Contractors Registration). A homeowner engaged in constructing, altering, or repairing his/her personal residence or lot shall not be considered a contractor and should fill out the Home Owner's Letter of Intent. Specific and detailed questions should be directed to the Community Development Department at 630-933-7113.
The Building Department oversees all residential and commercial construction, remodeling, and occupancy within the Village. The Village has adopted the following codes as of December 1, 2016 (Ordinance 911):
- International Residential Code for 1-2 Family, 2015 edition
- International Building Code, 2015 edition;
- International Existing Building Code, 2015 edition;
- International Mechanical Code, 2015 edition;
- International Property Maintenance Code, 2015 edition;
- National Electrical Code, 2014 Edition
- Illinois administrative code title 77: public health, chapter I: department of public health, subchapter water and sewage, part 890 Illinois Plumbing Code as amended;
- International Fire Code, 2015 Edition.
- International Energy Conservation Code, 2015 Edition, including Illinois Energy Conservation Code amendments (Illinois Administrative Code, Title 71, Chapter I, subchapter d, part 600)
- International Fuel Gas Code, 2015 Edition
- Illinois Accessibility Code (Illinois Administrative Code Title 71, Chapter I, Subchapter b, Part 400)
- International Swimming Pool and Spa Code, 2015 edition
All accessory structures, whether they require a building permit or not, are subject to the Winfield Zoning Ordinance and DuPage County Floodplain and Stormwater Management Ordinance (adopted by the Village). Please submit a plat of survey with the location of the accessory structure shown to the Community Development Department for review.