Building Department / Zoning Administration
Building permits are required before most interior or exterior improvements are made. This includes roofs, fences, decks, patios, pools, sheds, and other accessory structures. Permit review may take up to two weeks, so please plan ahead.
No person shall act or perform any services as a general contractor, contractor, or subcontractor within the Village of Winfield without first having registered with the Village of Winfield. A homeowner engaged in constructing, altering, or repairing his/her personal residence or lot shall not be considered a contractor and should fill out the Home Owner's Letter of Intent. Specific and detailed questions should be directed to the Community Development Department at (630) 933-7113.
The Building Department oversees all residential and commercial construction, remodeling, and occupancy within the Village. The Village has adopted the following codes:
- International Existing Building Code, 2006 edition
- International Building Code, 2006 edition
- International Mechanical Code, 2006 edition
- International Property Maintenance Code, 2006 edition
- International Residential Code for One and Two-Family Dwellings, 2006 edition
- National Electrical Code, 2005 edition
- Illinois Administrative Code Title 77: Public Health, Chapter I: Department of Public Health, Subchapter: Water and Sewage, Part 890: Illinois Plumbing Code as amended
- International Fire Code, 2006 edition
- International Energy Conservation Code, 2009 edition (eff.1/29/10)
- International Fuel Gas Code, 2006 edition
All accessory structures, whether they require a building permit or not, are subject to the Winfield Zoning Ordinance and DuPage County Floodplain and Stormwater Management Ordinance (adopted by the Village). Please submit a plat of survey with the location of the accessory structure shown to the Community Development Department for review.